Buying a Used Vehicle as an International Student

Driving & buying a Car: International Students in Ontario

If you are new to Canada and you are staying here for over 3 months, you may be considering buying a car. Here is some information that may help you.

If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for up to 60 days after you move to Ontario. If you want to keep driving in Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver's licence.

If you are from another country and visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit from your own country or you may have to apply for an Ontario driver's licence, depending on your length of stay.

Out Of Country Drivers who want to obtain a Canadian Drivers License:

Reciprocal exchange agreement exist between Ontario and: other Canadian provinces, Canadian Forces Europe, U.S.A., Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, Great Britain, Austria, Belgium, Australia, Northern Ireland and Isle of Man. If you have a license from any of those countries, obtaining a license is much easier. Contact us for more information. Requirements for all Out of Country driver's licence applicants:

  • All applicants must declare their driving experience on the driver's licence application form.
  • All applicants for an Ontario driver's licence at the time of application are required to;
    • present a valid foreign driver's licence (if it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator)
    • present written authentication of their foreign driving experience from the originating licensing agency, or from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner’s office representing the jurisdiction, in order to get credit for their driving experience.
    • pass a vision test and a written knowledge test regarding Ontario's traffic rules
    • Pay all applicable fees
    • Provide acceptable proof of identity

The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) is the government department that controls driver's licences and vehicle registration in Ontario. Call the MTO if you have questions: Toll free in Ontario: 1-800-387-3445